Monday, June 19, 2006

Seeing The Light

Was on the bus early this morning coming to work when I heard something. Not sure if it was an apple hitting me on the head ala Sir Isaac Newton or the chip which had just fallen off my shoulder and was now rolling around in the aisle.

I had had an epiphany regarding my recent post of John Pantsil and his flag waving. It was like one of those 3-D pictures where no matter how long I stared at it I couldn’t see the dinosaur or the palm trees or whatever image was embedded inside it.

Then the penny dropped, I could see the image and with that I could hear the wake-up call which was coming in loud and clear.

There are aspects of Israeli society and culture which ally themselves with the worst aspects of my personality – my cynicism, my skepticism, my paranoia, my distrust, my suspicions. Instead of viewing life here with the glass 95% full it makes me concentrate on the 5% which is empty. Like a cancer on my soul it makes me a miserable, cantankerous, grumpy old man who I am not, nor do I want to be.

Ironic I guess that this revelation comes the week of Parshat Shlach – the week we read about the 12 spies being sent out to see what Israel was like. What sort of spy would I have been, I wonder?

"Well Moses, think we should stay in Egypt because they drive their donkeys like maniacs there, the shuk only has one kind of goat’s cheese and it’s way too expensive and you can’t add a second storey to your shack unless you give the local chieftain a brown paper bag…"

Like in the Matrix though, life is not all what it seems. Not only do we live in a very special place but are incredibly lucky and privileged to do so. Instead of sifting the holy from the unholy and concentrating on the latter; I should be like a horse with blinkers; ignoring the impure elements and focusing on the good stuff.

And despite evidence which may suggest to the contrary, the good stuff is here you just have to look out for it - even if the message comes via the hands of an African soccer player. Not quite a talking donkey but still does the trick.

Wonder what Mrs Co.il thinks about Pantsil as a middle name for the first born…..

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the glass more full than empty club... We always welcome new members. You really do make me proud to call myself your wife!

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Youre so Frum !!!

6:57 PM  
Blogger kasamba said...

You have such an Ayin Tov!!!!

Hi Mrs. Co.il!!!

8:40 PM  
Blogger kasamba said...

Hey, you never visit anymore....
Sniff.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>