Monday, June 12, 2006

World At Their Feet

Today is a huge day in Australia sport. Probably the biggest since the day of the Opening Ceremony of the Sydney Olympics. Today Australia plays its first World Cup finals match in 32 years.

Australia tends to dominate team sports that nobody else plays; sports such as cricket, rugby, netball and hockey. It did ok at soccer (football) but was cruelly denied entry to sport's biggest stage due to the disgusting politics of FIFA.

The game against Japan is infact an anomaly because when the draw was done Australia wasn't part of Asia and thus in a different pool to Japan.

As big as the World Cup is, it is huge for Australia. A sports mad country who has struggled in vain for 32 years will finally quench its thirst.

Japan be prepared to bid Sayanora to your World Cup hopes as we make sushi out of you.

PS: Forgot to make a prediction. Australia 2 Japan 1.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck for tonight..... is it a featured game here in Israel? If so, where do you plan to watch?

12:56 PM  
Blogger Dot Co Dot Il said...

Nope. It starts during work and will miss it if I go home so will watch it in Tel Aviv.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

yep, it's total world-cup-fever here!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Dot Co Dot Il said...

Sarah - Hope to see some photos confirming that :)

1:37 PM  
Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

i'll see what i can do! i'm sure i can manage some sort of football related photo... but it may actually be AFL related :P

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought of you and Mrs Co.il- the song we were discussing was just on the radio, and as I havent heard the whole song in a while thought I would give you my perception of the best lyrics in the song:

Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas
I need to get myself away from this place
I said yep what a concept
I could use a little fuel myself

Hope it isnt gonna be in your head now all day like it is in mine!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Rafi G. said...

you Aussies were ripped off by that non-call on the foul to the goalie...

4:57 PM  
Blogger kasamba said...

Well, if you want to know my take on the thing they call world cup- check out my new post.
I warn you, if you love footie, you may find it offensive.
Regards to the Mrs.co.il!!

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>