Sunday, June 18, 2006

Fly The Flag


While it's nice to see an Israeli flag present at the World Cup, I don't agree with what John Pantsil did and think he is going to find himself in hot water. If not from Ghana, then from FIFA.

Pantsil plies his trade for Hapoel Tel-Aviv and told people he would wave the Israeli flag if Ghana scored. They scored twice in their upset win over the Czech Republic and so the flag came out.

Israeli flag or not, I disagree with what Panstil did. He is representing Ghana on the international stage so where does Israel come into it? Why wasn't he at least brandishing an Ghanaian flag and waving the two together?

6 Comments:

Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

hmmm...

Maybe he was just trying to raise world awareness that Sederot is getting bombed with Qassam rockets every day?

1:22 PM  
Blogger ifyouwillit... said...

Israel is always in need of some positive PR, and waving the flag does no harm, if anything, it will do the opposite.

Sure, he is representing Ghana and must be proud to be doing so, but his pride to be an Israeli should be complimented. Maybe this is where he feels really at home.

As 'British' as I am, and always will be, I am a Zionist first.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Dot Co Dot Il said...

I disagree and think it is a slap in the face for Ghana. If he waved both flags together - fair enough.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

DCDI: Once again you have misjudged public opinon...

First with going after me over my World-Cup posting...and now, by critizing the waving of an Israeli flag during the World Cup.

My advice? Re-read the Tipping Point :)

Actually - I just heard about a new book about the opinion of the masses, and how they are more often right than the experts.

I'll send you more info on it soon.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Dot Co Dot Il said...

Jameel - How can I be the one misjudging public opinion when you wrote posts about 'two billion people being wrong'?

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Israeli, why must i be hapy to see my flag play by Ghana natonal? I do not unrstand.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>