Friday, June 09, 2006

Gentlemen, Start Your Engines

In just under five hours the 18th World Cup gets under way. It will be the largest sporting event the world has ever witnessed. But make no mistake this isn't just for sports lovers.

Its one of the great ironies of massive sporting events that they don't remain in the domain of solely the died in the wool aficionados. This is why you usually get seated inbetween the person who picks the team they are going for based on the uniform colours on one side and the one who asks the whole match "and which one is David Beckham?" on the other.

This is the moment though when anticipation is at its highest and there is a buzz in the air. The pages of history which are to be written are still blank and only in a month's time will we be able to read them. Then they will be set in stone and no matter how many times you watch a replay the result will always be the same.

Reputations will be made over the next 63 matches (who really cares about the 3rd/4th play-off) and the world will be watching, the whole world except for Israel, but let's not go there.

Will be a unique experience for me for a couple of reasons. First of all, Australia is participating and second of all it's the first time I am watching a World Cup in the northern hemisphere when it's the height of summer and the matches are played in the midst of balmy nights.

So what do I think?

*I think Australia can do ok if we get a good result against Japan.

*I don't think Brazil will win nor do I think Argentina will. Historically European teams fare better when the tournament is played in Europe.

*Too many people are discounting Germany when the host nation always does well.

*Italy are definitely a dark horse and don't forget their last four World Cup eliminations have all been due to penalty shootouts.

*England will not win unless they practise penalties.

*Spain will again be useless.

Apart from that everything is up and the air and open.

Can't wait.

6 Comments:

Blogger kasamba said...

HA!
I knew England has no chance!

5:02 PM  
Blogger ifyouwillit... said...

England have no chance, but we got to get behind our boys and wish them well.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who needs to practise penalties when Paraguay scores own goals?
On the flip side however, I dont think our performance has left Germany, Italy, Brazil, France et al quaking in their boots.
Oh well- Trinidad and Tobago up next...
And before you mention it, yes- what I said Friday night still stands!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Dot Co Dot Il said...

Kasamba & If - I never said they had no chance, just they have to win in regulation/extra time or risk bowing out again due to penalties.

Marissa - Don't think it matters. Win is a win and with things going well in the other match, England are a shoo-in to top the group.
Remind me what you said on Frida night.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir-
Now I have proof you don't listen when I speak!

I said it really doesnt bother me if they win or lose- I will be happy if they win, but I won't go throwing myself off my balcony or drown my sorrows in drink if they lose.
To be honest, I dont expect anything other than a loss at some stage when they are actually beginning to be expected to do well- much like supporting Spurs actually.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Dot Co Dot Il said...

Marissa - I remembered what you said but when you were speaking to me on/off over the space of four hours didn't know what exactly you were referring to.

Thought you were talking about the Wombles!

Underground, Overground, Wombling Free,
The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we.
Making good use of the things that we find,
Things that the everyday folks leave behind.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>