Thursday, December 21, 2006

I Miss ShopRite

Was in the area so went to the Supersol yesterday. You know the big one on the corner of King George, across the road from the Kings Hotel.

This has always been a popular shopping haunt due to its central location but was a bit of a mess. Recently though they have fixed the place up and it looks a lot better.

After picking up a few things I went to go pay. But you know how it is 6pm on a weeknight - 14 counters available but only two cashiers open. So stood in one and then when I could, plonked my things down on the conveyor belt.

I forgot a few things so quickly ran around the supermarket to get them. I had time because the 90 year old lady in front of me had a lot in her cart.

Come back and then it's my turn. The 14 year old check-out-chick whisks everything through including the bottle of wine which belongs to the people standing behind me. She has to reswipe it to take it off. I then have a look at the bill and something doesn't seem right.

You know how it's not enough that the supermarket is filled with millions of things to buy - that they have to have these wonderful bargains situated behind the cashier which you might want after doing all of your shopping? This week's special was Toblerone which somehow got mixed up with my things and she'd rung up.

DCDI: This isn't mine (holding up the Toblerone).

So she has to call her supervisor and take it off.

I thought all the excitement was over and done with but it was only beginning.
I start packing all the stuff into the bags and notice that the breadrolls are missing. I look around and the only explanatation is that it got mixed up with the old lady's stuff while I was running around the supermarket.

I found her sitting outside the supermarket while her son brought the car round.

DCDI: I think my breadrolls are somewhere in your cart?

Old Lady: What are you talking about? You weren't behind me.

DCDI: I was behind you in the checkout but then I had to go get something and I think you have nmy bedrolls.

OL: Take a look.


I ruffle through her bags and find the breadrolls.

OL: Those aren't mine.

Old Lady's son appears.

OLS: What happened?

OL: His breadrolls got mixed up with our stuff.

OLS: And he paid for them?

OL: No we did.


DCDI hands Old Lady 10 shekels.

With that wearing me out completely, I cross the road where I wait outside the Kings for a taxi. One pulls up and I get in. Be wary of getting into taxis when you are standing outside a hotel because they assume you are a tourist and don't know better.

Taxi Driver - Where do you want to go?

I tell him our address.

TD: How is 25 shekel?

At this time of day it should cost a maximum of 17-18.

DCDI: Just put the meter on.


Just another day in paradise................

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That supersol has a repuatuion for being expensive, but convinience is worth paying for. I always seem to end up in the queue behind the customer who needs razors or cigarettes, so they must find the key for these luxury items, kept safe behind locked doors.

Want to take a trip to the new(er) Supersol Deal in Kanyon Lev Talpiot? It's a nicer shopping experience!

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to Israel.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Ezzie said...

Hehe. I love that Supersol... but that's because I got whipped cream there for a whipped cream fight outside the Kings Hotel. (Long story.)

I love the taxis in Israel. Once in Geulah, I was with a friend and her friend who had just come. They had paid 60shek for a cab from Bayit Vagan... I got them one going back for 25. Ah, newbies.

4:25 PM  
Blogger BagelUndertheCouch said...

first time i took a taxi in israel, i got run all over jerusalem looking for my friend's place. the taxi driver wanted to settle it at 90 at the beginning. i shudder even today thinking about what the meter said at the end of that roundabout.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Dot Co Dot Il said...

IYWI - I do indeed. Let's go together sometime. I would love that!

Anon - Thanks.

Ezzie - Didn't even know they sold whipped cream here. Did you win the fight?

BUTC - We all have a story like that.....

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>