Monday, December 25, 2006

Anti-dentite

You can tell a lot about a country's situation based on their attitude to dental care and dental hygiene. Call this another Big Mac Index which compares social values.
If dental care is a priority then the country has a pretty good standard of living.
It is funny how a person opening their mouth and not saying anything can speak volumes about them. All you have to do is look at their teeth.

Here in Israel you see some shockers. There are some smiles which would make many hockey players proud or even blush and then there are those which would make you cringe.
When I was single, can't tell you how off-putting it was to see a girl smile and reveal teeth that look like a pile of dominoes have been thrown onto the floor. Conversely there is nothing sexier than a mouth full of white, straight teeth.

In any event, dental care in Israel is expensive. Given that, there is a propensity to overlook it and only go to the dentist when you're writhing in pain which is even more expensive.

Call me a snob, but I don't go to an Israeli dentist. Funnily enough, every Anglo I speak to does the same.

You would think, given this, the water would be flouridated in Israel but it isn't. They used to do it then only some places did it and now they've stopped everywhere.
Ironically it seems as though only the countries where dental care is a priority such as USA, Canada and Australia is the water flouridated.

Don't get me wrong - there is a lot of controversy about the practice but despite any opposition you have to it, I can guarantee you that dental decay would dramtically fall if it was introduced. I have never had a single cavity or filling but coming from a country of flouridated water to one which doesn't, my chances of getting one or some or even lots has gone through the roof.

9 Comments:

Blogger tafka PP said...

And don't forget how in some cultures here, the acceptable way to shut a screaming child up is to dip it's pacifier in "Petel".

BTW I went to a dentist here once (a British one) who knew which city I was from based on the (good) condition of my teeth...

11:34 AM  
Blogger Dot Co Dot Il said...

TAFKA PP - How do teeth among the British cities vary? How do Birmingham teeth differ from those London in Devon?

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lemme know if you want the names of the teams that worked on me.

Stellar reaults ....

4:41 PM  
Blogger tafka PP said...

I think Bham were very conscious about flouride in the water. And I guess this guy could tell! What do I know, I just pay them for treatment.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Gilly said...

My dentist brother started his first job in Israel on Xmas Eve - where else in the world could you do that?

Don't agree with the need for perfect teeth but bad ones should be taken care of. BTW dental in Israel seems to me to be a lot cheaper than the States.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Dot Co Dot Il said...

Anon - Ok, what are the names?

TAFKA PP - Given all the Cadbury's you imbibe, you must brush very well!

Gilly - Maybe the North Pole?
Didn't know that about dental care in the US. Private coverage doesn't make it cheaper?

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother still guilts me for the amount they spent on dental care on us as children and is apalled by my irregular visits to the dentist as an adult. I am definitely not honoring the investment and live in fear of needing root canal - not for the pain, for the cost.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Dot Co Dot Il said...

QOK - Prevention is better than cure though. Why does she stop at dental care though - what about education?

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Education in Canada's cheap. But I'll remind her next time we speak...

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>