Thursday, September 28, 2006

One Day In September

Yom Kippur is a great day of the year. We enter it with fear and trepidation and exit it with rejuvenation and a renewed spirit & vigour with which to take on the next 12 months. Frankly I have no idea how people who don’t have Yom Kippur function.
It’s a special day and I hope you all have a good and meaningful fast.

Interesting dilemma for me this Shabbas. My Australian Football team, the Sydney Swans is playing in the Grand Final this Saturday and there is the chance of watching them live courtesy of a TV which is left on over the whole of Shabbat.

But I’m a big believer in karma and what if me watching will cause them to lose? Not only would they have lost but I’m not interesting in watching if they are going to do so - not that they will. Last year had plans to watch the game and went over to the person’s place to watch it but Hurricane Katrina knocked out the satellite and we didn’t get to see it. They then went on to win.

Them winning is the main priority. Think I might have to take one for the team. At least there is no chance of finding out the score beforehand.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that your decision is not too watch... Ya wouldn't want to indure tha wrath of G-d and the wife in the same day!!!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

How interesting that your passion for a team will keep you from watching tv on Shabbes

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How interesting that your passion for a team will keep you from watching tv on Shabbes

6:04 PM  
Blogger Wisey said...

Interesting theory.
However, somehow I feel that by you choosing to watch, or, not watch the game will really not have an impact on whether the Swans win or lose.
I do really think their training regime, their fitness, confidence and teamwork will have more of an impact. No?

5:45 AM  
Blogger Dot Co Dot Il said...

Mrs Co.Il - Thanks :)

Prag - Nice to see you round again.

SW - Cute story. Didn't know you were so frum.

Wisey - Everything in the universe is connected. It's the bug steps on a twig line of thinking. If you think about it the fact that any of us gets born is a million to one given what has to happen for our great grand-parents, our grandparents and then our parents to meet.

8:20 AM  
Blogger BagelUndertheCouch said...

gah...soccer karma. i understand--everytime i watched england play in this last world cup, they won. but the one time i couldn't watch, they lost to portugal. PORTUGAL. WHO LOSES TO PORTUGAL?! I ASK YOU!

sorry, i'm still pretty bitter. ruddy beckham. it's all his fault.

1:32 AM  
Blogger Wisey said...

You're all mad. One person watching a televised game over the sea does not have the same bug on twig impact (although ESP several times throughout the game worked EVERY damn time).

I watched that Swans game in utter calm, knowing my boys would pick up their act. And I told everyone so. Kind of like that Essendon game back in '96 when we were down by 3 goals with 5 minutes to go and with the same conviction, I knew that they would pick up their act.
Even though we lost by one, instead of won by one as with Essendon, I'm proud of those bloods. They put on a great show. I don't know why Goodes cried.

I also realised had they won, I would have been "meh". Last year was sweeter after 72 years in the cold, this year would have made us a bit too complacement. Roos shares the same opinion as me and that's because he shares the view that karma is a load of crap.

1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>