Sunday, September 03, 2006

What's the Meaning of This?

Had my ritual Shabbat afternoon Scrabble game with my mother-in-law yesterday.

Problem is that when you play Scrabble you are only as good as your opponent's vocabulary. If they don't know a word, they will protest and possibly not allow it.

Furthermore, my MIL says that you can only play a word if you know the meaning of it. This isn't in the rules and I couldn't disagree more with this approach.

Came to a head when I wanted to play TAJ which has nothing to do with the Taj Mahal but is infact a "tall conical cap worn by Muslims as a headdress of distinction".

I didn't know this at the time but its besides the point. Unfortunately our only point of reference was an English-Hebrew dictionary and I wasn't allowed to play it.

Scrabble is like doing a multiple choice test. All that matters is that you colour in the right circle - your reasons for doing so are irrelevant. If your word proves to be illegitimate you lose your turn.

Not that it mattered we had a nice schmooze while we were playing and that's what it is all about.

7 Comments:

Blogger anonym00kie said...

mazal tov dotco's MIL!!

(im assuming from your last line that she reads this blog :)

12:25 PM  
Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

did u win????

2:40 PM  
Blogger Wisey said...

You can't shorten mother-in-law to MIL!

Put an "f" on there and you're in big trouble.

2:15 AM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

Play with a dictionary silly!

4:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if I still own a single language dictioary, all mine seem to be hebrew/english.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

after a certain age Scrabble and other board games should really be about the fun!
Now a good son in law lets his Mother In Law win, regardless, remember that:)

5:47 PM  
Blogger Dot Co Dot Il said...

Anonym00kie - No, she doesn't. You think if she does I would even have written this post.

JC - That ain't important ;)

EC - Next time!

Wisey - Fair point but what about Milk or Mild?

FG - I know! I know!

IFWI - Lol!

Prag - Thanks. Great advice :)

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>