Thursday, May 04, 2006

Nailing It

When you live with a pregnant woman one of the things you have to be wary of is where you put your nail clippings.

No longer can I just bite them and spit them out as I am prone to do. I actually did do this last week and when I realised what I had done, spent half an hour on my hands and knees looking for the errant nail.

For those who are unaware the Talmud (Niddah 17a) states "one who trims his nails and throws them into a public area [causes great harm] because a pregnant woman may walk over them and miscarry."

It is a superstition but then again we are a very superstitious folk. Does anyone out there know of a woman who actually miscarried due to walking on nails?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

when my (soon to be ex)wife was pregnant, you wouldn't believe the amount of superstitious mumbo-jumbo that was going thru her head.

whether you believe the one about teh nails or not, doesn't mean anything. best thing to do is just put them in the trash. start training yourself now, so your kid(s) will learn from u ;)

J.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

Indeed we tend to be superstitious and I've always find this one particularly laughable yet my nails all end up in a large kleenex and are carefully flushed afterwards.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Prag: Totally Ditto. (on both counts)

7:22 PM  
Blogger Dot Co Dot Il said...

JC - What were the other superstitions she had?

Pragmatician + Jameel - Can't go wrong there.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>