Monday, July 17, 2006

Operaton Get Licence: First Lesson

Had my first lesson yesterday evening and it went well. After an hour of driving around Talpiot my confidence is a lot higher than it was yesterday. I feel ready to do the test but am going to have a another lesson this Friday just to be sure.

My instructor's name is Dudu and he is pretty chilled. An old guy, probably in his 60s and he speaks good English.

When I got into the car there was another person driving doing a lesson and they stayed in the backseat for the duration of my lesson. Once I got out they had another lesson. This is how I suppose the Israelis get through their 28 lessons without it taking six months.

I was nervous but once I started to drive and get going instinct took over and I was fine. Old habits do die hard though and at times I was drifting to the right side of the road ie kerb.

It's a weird feeling when you start to drive in a place where you are familiar with but have never driven. You are used to the perspective of being a pedestrian or being driven but not driving yourself.

He never took the wheel or used the brakes on his side which was good as I hate teachers who do that if it's not really necessary.

For the record, going to keep a log of how much this whole exercise costs.

1 x 40 minute lesson: 100
1 x eyetest : 15
Total: NIS 115

4 Comments:

Blogger Shoshana said...

Rabbi Emmanuel Feldman wrote an article about getting his driver's license in Israel and the costs associated with it - he's really articulate and an excellent writer, you would probably enjoy his take on it. Check it out: "A Simple Driving Test"

1:33 PM  
Blogger Dot Co Dot Il said...

Thanks Shoshana. Don't have Adobe on my work computer so will check it out when I get home.

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cost of Israeli Driving Experience = Priceless.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Dot Co Dot Il said...

Shoshana - Read it and prices have gone up since then.

Anonymous - It definitely is that!

John - Thanks John. Where did you do the test?

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>